DETERMINE THE LAYOUT STYLE
Deciding what kind of kitchen layout you’d like will help with later design decisions. Most kitchens are:
- L-shape (cabinetry position forms a letter “L” shape): A popular layout that creates a natural work triangle and in most cases, can fit an island or eat-in kitchen area. Maximize your space with storage accessories and a lazy susan corner cabinet.
- Single-wall: Generally used in smaller homes, condos and apartments. If this is your space, plan to use smaller compact appliances and storage accessories to add more function. If space allows, an additional island or table can add extra counter space.
- Galley: Considered the most efficient with 2 sets of parallel cabinetry that creates a walking area in between. To make the space feel more open, consider using glass door fronts and an open-designed glass or metal range hood.
- U-shape (cabinetry position forms a letter “U” shape): Ideal for smaller and medium sized homes and offers separate zones for cooking, food preparation, cleaning and storage. An island can be added if there’s 3-1/2 feet (or more) between the island and other cabinets.
- G-shape (cabinetry position forms a letter “G” shape): Same as U-shape, but includes a peninsula that you can use as a breakfast bar or small fourth wall of additional cabinets. A great choice for larger homes.
MAKE YOUR WISH-LIST
Once you’ve decided your overall kitchen layout, take some time to think about how you would like your dream kitchen to work for you and your family.
- Do you need more storage and functionality?
- Are you planning a space for entertaining?
- Do you require a multi-functional space to work from home?
- How would you like your space to coordinate with other rooms in your home?
- Which style best suits your home and furniture?
Make a wish-list of everything you would like for your space, such as storage needs, types of appliances and overall design style.
MEASURE YOUR SPACE
The perfect cabinetry design starts with perfect measurements. Determine the dimensions of your room from floor to ceiling, wall to wall and from the room corners to doors and windows (including trim). Ensure to note all electrical outlets, appliances (including range hood), vents, plumbing, gas connections, and any other obstructions along the floor or walls.
DETERMINE YOUR BUDGET AND TIMELINE
It’s important to work out the cost you want to spend and keep within it. Homeowners often spend approximately 10-15% of the value of their home on kitchen remodeling, Creating your wish-list in advance will help you to not overspend. Ensure to set aside part of your budget for unexpected costs that may happen during your renovation.
Be prepared for the realistic timeline it will take for your renovation, as remodels can take a few days to several months, depending on the scope of the project.
SET YOUR STYLE
And now for the exciting part: choosing a design style that best reflects you! Select the following for your dream space:
- Color scheme (walls, ceiling, trim)
- Cabinetry finish (Klëarvūe Cabinetry® offers traditional, transitional and contemporary designs to go with any décor)
- Backsplash (what material and color works best for you?)
- Countertop (color, material)
- Sink and faucet style
- Large appliances
- Small appliances (ensuring you have a space for everything – would your microwave be over the stove or on the countertop?)
- Flooring (what material best suits your lifestyle?)
Clip photos from magazines and collect online photos for visual references. For a personal touch, choose a single door style or mix and match!
Ready to start? You can use Ū Crëatë®, our DIY design software, to create the layout of your dreams – from the comfort of your own home!
Simply enter in your room dimensions and begin to place cabinet configurations – it’s that easy! All Klëarvūe Cabinetry® configurations can be found in the Ū Crëatë® program, pre-configured to place into your room space. You can purchase your cabinet order directly online or by visiting your local Menards® retail store.
Features and benefits of Ū Crëatë® include:
- 3D rendering as you place cabinets so you can see visuals every step of the way.
- Estimated pricing as you design your layout will help keep you on budget.
- Have a few ideas? Create an account to save multiple designs.
- Live chat available for assistance.
- Our Ū Crëatë® program is intuitive – it won’t let you forget the small stuff and will note if you need to make any changes along the way.